Flexible Learning Pilot to Start at UvA in September 2017
Flexible learning offers students the option of paying tuition fees only for the courses that they plan to take within the degree programme. On 1 September, a Flexible Learning pilot will be launched for a number of UvA degree programmes.
Participating degree programmes
- Economics and Business;
- Fiscal Economics;
- Econometrics and Operations Research;
- Communication Science;
- Labour Law;
- Educational Sciences;
- Communication Science;
- Urban and Regional Planning;
- Human Geography;
- Earth Sciences.
More degree programmes will follow in the 2018 – 2019 academic year.
Who can take part in the pilot?
Flexible learning is open to students of the degree programmes listed above. The following conditions apply:
- the student must be re-enrolling for the 2017 – 2108 academic year (In the 2016-2017 academic year they must have already been enrolled in the degree programme for which they wish to study as a flexible learning student); and
- the student falls under the statutory tuition fees rate (not under the institutional fee); and
- the student must have received a positive study advice or will receive this no later than 31 August; and
- the relevant degree programme must be participating in the pilot and the maximum number of participants in the pilot for the degree programme and for the UvA in total must not yet have been reached.
A flexible learning student has the same rights as a regular student; the Teaching and Examination Regulations of the relevant degree programme apply.
- A maximum number of 400 places are available in total.
- The student can register starting from 8 May, when re-enrolment commences, by ticking the ‘flexible learning’ option in Studielink.
- Registration is possible up to and including 31 May. Students keen to maximise their chances are advised to register immediately on 8 May. They will then participate in an enrolment draw held on 9 May. If any remaining places are available after this draw has taken place, students will be accepted for the pilot in the order in which they registered, until the maximum number of participants in the pilot is reached for the degree programme and/or the UvA as a whole.
The number of places available in the Flexible Learning pilot is limited. It is important that the student thinks carefully before registering; if they later decide to withdraw their request, their place cannot be taken by another student.
What does flexible learning cost? Flexible learning means the student pays per course:
- The tuition fees payable are based on the number of ECTS credits per course, plus a surcharge of 15%. The student pays 38.45 euros per ECTS credit.
- A minimum tuition fee rate of six ECTS credits applies.
- The student receives no reimbursement of tuition fees. If the student deregisters for a course prior to the start of the semester, they will not be charged for that course – except for the minimum charge of 6 ECTS credits – unless they take the course and/or complete the exam after all.
To find out more please check the UvA website HERE